- Christian Service
As the gap between the rich and the poor expands worldwide, it is Bishop Verot’s goal to teach our students to fight for social justice and embrace the marginalized of our society. Through religion class, retreats, Mass, and prayer we strive everyday to instill Christ’s love and compassion in our students and the entire Verot Family.
One of the greatest ways to impact and improve the larger community is through Christian service. Verot’s active Christian service policy holds each student responsible for their role in changing society. They must complete a minimum of 100 Christian service hours centered on “hands on” and direct experience with those in need over the course of four years. When we are exposed to the injustices that surmount our society and can truly identify with the marginalized, we seek change. Our hope is every student will have a life changing experience driving them to continue to serve the greater community beyond their time at Bishop Verot.
Last year alone, our students completed over 25,000 Christian service hours. The difference one person can make is significant, but the difference an entire community can make is overwhelming. As a Catholic school, our students should not only be ranked by their academic successes, but by their engagement with the marginalized of our society. It is our hope our Christian service policy helps to plant the seed of faith and love in the students of Bishop Verot.
For the Christian Service Policy and Requirements, including eligible service sites, please click here.
Please download the Christian Service Form.
Service Hour Requirements:
Freshmen and Sophomores - 20 hours
Juniors and Seniors - 30 hours
**Hours exceeding the minimum requirement will not apply to the next school year. However, students may turn in more than the required amount if they would like them recorded.
Service Hour due dates for the 2023 - 2024 School Year
*Summer Hours for all grade levels are due September 1st.
Seniors - Friday, March 1, 2024
Juniors, Sophomores, and Freshmen - Friday, April 26, 2024
The following are check-in dates for service hours throughout the year. These check-ins are conducted to ensure everyone is completing service hours throughout the year at a healthy pace.
- Freshmen & Sophomores
- November 17th - 7.5 hours
- January 12th - 15 hours
- May 3rd - 20 hours
- Juniors & Seniors
- November 17th - 10 hours
- January 12th - 20 hours
- April 12th (for Seniors) - 30 hours
- May 3rd (for Juniors) - 30 hours
Reminders about turning in your service hours:
- Use the BV service hours form
- Fill it out completely including a signature and contact information for the supervisor
- All service must be done at a pre-approved site from the approve site list or given pre-approval by Mr. Rode prior to completing the service
- Hours may be turned in at any time to the front office. Please do not wait until the deadline to turn in all hours
Approved Sites and Contact Information
All Diocese of Venice Parishes and Schools
- Boys/Girls Club - 239-334-1886
- Builders Care - 239-938-0056
- Calusa Nature Center - 239-275-3435
- Catholic Charities - (AFCAAM-239-461-0233 (After School Tutoring)
- Catholic Charities - Casa Maria Soup Kitchen - 239-657-6242 (Immokalee)
- Children’s Home Society - 239-334-0222
- Clare House - After School Tutoring - 239-334-2234*
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers - 239-657-8311
- ECHO - (Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization) 239-543-3246
- Habitat for Humanity - 239-652-0434 (Paula) www.habitat4humanity.org
- Harlem Heights Organization / St. Columbkille – 239-489-3973 (Miriam Ortiz)
- Harry Chapin Food Bank - 239-334-7007
- Hope Hospice/ Thrift store - 239-652-1114
- Humane Society of Lee Co. - 239-332-0364
- LARC - 239-334-6285 x 229
- Lee Memorial Hospital - 239-343-2388 / www.volunteerlee.org
- Lee Health Park – 239-343-5055
- Lifeline Family Center - 239-242-7238
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters - 239-278-0003
- Shady Rest - 239-931-8401
- Cypress Cove - 239-415-5100
- The Woodlands - 239-574-8789
- Heartland - 239-275-6067
- Heritage Park - 239-334-1091
- Hidden Oaks - 239-939-1393
- PACE Center for Girls – 239-425-2366 ext. 2316 / Molly Silverman
- Public Library Lee Co. - 239-533-4800
- Quality Life Center - 239-334-2797
- Red Cross - 239-278-3401
- Ronald Mc Donald House - 239-437-0202 / Laura Reagan
- Salvation Army – 239-628-1422
- Senior Friendship Center (The Dream team) - 239-275-1881
- Soup Kitchen / Meals on Wheels (CCMI) - 239-332-7687
- Special Populations - 239-574-0574 (Laurie)
- Special Equestrians - 239-226-1221
- TopSoccer-CCSA - 239-910-3845
- YMCA - 239-275-9622
- St. Vincent De Paul Society - 239-334-9225
- St. Vincent DePaul Society – 239-274-0660
- St. Columbkille Thrift - 239-489-4001
- Collier-Lee Honor Flight - 239-898-4850 (Amy Mitchell)
For more information or pre-approval, please contact the Christian Service Coordinator, Mr. Rode, at email@example.com.
Theology - Christian Service Assignment
Beginning in the 2019-2020 school year, all students will be required to submit a comprehensive assignment reflecting on their Christian service each semester, which is weighted as a project/test grade. It is recommended students keep a detailed record of all Christian service completed over the summer including the specific tasks done. Pictures and videos may be taken also as long as they are approved by the facility and reflect a spirit of compassion and humility. Completing the Christian Service form with signatures is required.
Bishop Verot Students Working in our Community